The collection of NGMA mainly comprises of paintings, sculptures, graphic prints and examples of early photography in India which showcased the historical development of modern art in India. The display includes Indian miniatures, colonial artists, Bengal School and post-independence artists which led to the birth of modern and post-modern art of today. In addition to permanent display of the paintings and sculptures, this NGMA also showcases national and international exhibitions regularly.
Situated in a serene ambience dotted with magnificent trees, fountain and a mirror pool the gallery is an inviting place to quietly devour the tranquility of art. Equipped with an auditorium, a public art reference library, a cafeteria, and a museum shop cum facilitation block, the NGMA Bengaluru looks ahead to becoming a hub of art activities and a major cultural centre at Bengaluru. The gallery organizes and hosts talks on art and culture by eminent speakers, seminars, film screenings as well as workshops and guided walks throughout the year. Auditorium events organized by NGMA Bengaluru and the Art Reference Library facility is free of charge.
In addition to the permanent display of paintings and sculptures, and hosting exhibitions, a strong emphasis is also laid on educational programmes for children, adults and families, with innovative outreach and educational activities which are organized regularly at NGMA Bengaluru. To spell out a few:
- Organized programmes for school children with grade specific activities.
- Celebration of commemorative events
- Graphiti contests, painting contests, etc.
- Talks on art and related subjects by eminent speakers.
- Workshops to create awareness and art appreciation.
- Films screenings on art, education and culture every weekend.
- Regular gallery walks twice every week: Wednesdays 11.00 am to 12:00 noon, and Saturdays 3.00 pm to 4: 00 pm
- Special guided tours.
- Tailor made walks for specific groups.