Exact Match
General Claude Martin & his Friends
Title General Claude Martin & his Friends
Title2 Colonel Polier with his Friends
Museum Name Victoria Memorial Hall, Kolkata
Gallery Name NA
Object Type Painting
Main Material
Medium Oil on Canvas
Main Artist Johann Zoffany (1733-1810)
Artist's Nationality German neoclassical painter active mainly in England.
Artist's Life Date / Bio Data Known primarily as a painter of portraits, conversation pieces and theatrical subjects, Zoffany was born in Frankfurt, Germany, the son of an architect and court cabinet maker. He enjoyed court patronage throughout his career. Upon completion of his apprenticeship, he made the first of two trips to Rome in 1750, studying with the portrait painter Masucci. Zoffany arrived in England around 1760 and worked for some time as a drapery painter in the studio of Benjamin Wilson (1721-88), a minor portraitist. His career in England was established when the actor-manager David Garrick became his first major English patron. Zoffany painted four conversation pieces of the Garrick household in 1762, as well as numerous theatrical pictures which brought him to the attention of the public and, more importantly, Queen Charlotte, who became his patron. Zoffany exhibited at the Society of Artists from 1762 to 1769. He was nominated by George III for membership in the Royal Academy in 1769, exhibiting there from 1770 to 1800. Between 1772 and 1778 he worked primarily in Florence, where he painted The Interior of the Tribuna at Florence (Royal Collection). He returned to London in 1779 but, after a falling out with the King and Queen over his Tribuna, went to India in 1783, remaining there until 1789. He died at his home at Strand-on-the-Green and is buried in Kew Churchyard near London.
Provenance Through Sir Evan Cotton, 25-2-1930.
Period / Year of Work 1786-87 AD
Dimensions 138x183cm
Brief Description The painting depicts Colonel Antoine Polier, Claude Martin, and John Wombwell with the painter himself, Johann Zoffany, in the background, being waited on by Indian servants, probably in Lucknow around 1786-87.